Below are step-by-step instructions on how to make your very own print in the digital studio. For a quick guide on Japanese woodblock prints, check out the Related Resources section at the bottom of this page.
- Click on the url to enter the digital studio: https://woodblock.artsbma.org/
- Start with the background. Click on the different backgrounds to see what environment you would like to place your stamps in
- Pick out what additional elements you would like to add and arrange them on the paper canvas
- Landscapes: trees, water, boats, mountains, and more
- Structures: houses, bridges, boats, and even swords
- Figures: human figures in different poses and modes of action
- Weather: rain and snow
- Once you have added all of the stamps that you would like to the paper, then it’s time to add a banner
- Banners are where you can add your name and title later
- Download your artwork
- Print it out
- Sign and title your work on the banners
Having Trouble Getting Started?
Start with the provided landscape background and add other outdoor elements, like in the example to the left.
Or, think outside of the box! You do not have to follow traditional woodblock print style. Add figures upside down, make a great wave emerge from a snow covered hut. Be courageous with your creativity!